People have so many misconceptions about Chinen salt because of the unavailability of authentic information about this salt. People mistake it for other types of edible salt used for seasoning meals. In reality, Chinen salt is a traditional Chinese herbal supplement to treat type 2 diabetes.
It is said to treat diabetes and is used as a substitute for diabetes medicines. However, very limited research is done on its benefits. This article will give you an overview of Chinen salt, its benefits, and its difference from Himalayan salt.
What Is Chinen Salt Made From?
Chinen salt is composed of a compound called berberine chloride which is obtained from Chinese goldthread or Coptis Chinensis. The name of this salt comes from Coptis Chinensis which is a medicinal herbal plant. This herb contains a large amount of berberine that makes it beneficial for health. Many local people also call the Coptis Chinensis a barberry plant because of the rich concentration of berberine in it. This plant is mainly found in the Himalayan mountain region located in China.
Berberine is a chemical found in the bark, stem, and rhizomes of other plants such as European barberry, Oregon grape, Berberis aristata, and goldenseal. It has a yellow color and bitter taste. Berberine has a long history in Chinese medicine and Ayurveda. It is considered helpful for people with heart issues because of its ability to maintain the heartbeat. It may also reduce cholesterol and blood sugar levels. Due to the antimicrobial and anti-inflammatory properties of berberine, it can treat bacterial or fungal infections as well.
Other than berberine, Chinen salt contains sodium chloride, iron, monosodium glutamate, and sodium nitrate. The Chinen salt herbal supplement is available in the form of powder, pills, and liquid extract.
Chinen salt is also known as Chinese Coptis or Coptis Chinensis. It is also available as Huang Lian – the Chinese name for Coptis Chinensis. You will also find Chinen salt written on the labels of products obtained from Chinese Coptis that confuse people about the use of the product.
What Is Chinen Salt Used For?
Traditional medicine professionals in the Asian region especially in China have been using Chinen salt for centuries to treat several health issues. Chinen salt has medicinal berberine and is used to eliminate toxins from the body and treat diabetes. The berberine compound is believed to have anti-diabetes properties. The use of Chinen salt for diabetics is an old treatment.
The berberine and other minerals present in Chinen salt are said to stabilize blood sugar levels which is why traditional Chinese medicine has been using it as an alternative for insulin. However, it is yet to be proven scientifically.
What Is Chinen Salt Good For?
The claims about the usefulness of Chinen salt don’t end here. It is said to be beneficial for some other health problems as well. Some Chinen salt benefits are:
- Some people claim that Chinen salt may help treat acne and pimples by detoxifying the skin.
- Chinen salt is also thought to relieve sore throat.
- People suffering from diabetes need to control their blood sugar and glucose levels and Chinen salt helps to do so by balancing glucose metabolism through the discharge of endogenous enzymes.
- It is said to improve digestion by boosting the secretion of digestive juices and enzymes that promote anabolic reactions.
- Chinen salt is said to treat ear infections when used by mixing it with purified water. Using this solution as ear drops can kill bacteria and prevent ear infections.
What Is The Difference Between Chinen Salt And Himalayan Salt?
There is a misconception about Chinen salt that comes from its name. People mistook it for edible salt just like many other salts. Another misconception comes from the same source of origin of Chinen salt and pink Himalayan salt due to which people consider these salts the same.
Both these misconceptions are wrong. Chinen salt is not edible. Both Chinen and Himalayan salt are different from each other regardless of their same origin which is the Himalayas.
- Himalayan pink salt is purely an edible salt used for seasoning meals worldwide. Whereas, Chinen salt is a herbal supplement taken as a traditional medication for diabetes. The only similarities between these two salts are their source of origin and color.
- Both the salts are found in the nearby areas of the Himalayas. Chinen salt is made of berberine which is obtained from Coptis Chinensis found in the Himalayan region of China.
- Mining of Himalayan salt is done from the rocky mountains located at the foothills of the Himalayas in the Pakistan region. It is a dietary salt having almost the same composition as regular table salt. It has 98% sodium chloride and the remaining 2% is traces of minerals. Himalayan rock salt is considered one of the purest salts because it remained under huge rocks that protected it from external environmental factors. It is considered better than table salt.
- The color of Himalayan salt is pink with orange hues. Chinen salt also has light pink color due to which people get confused between these two salts.
- Both these salts have minerals that make them beneficial in different ways. Himalayan pink salt provides many health and wellness benefits. It provides essential minerals required to perform vital functions like conducting nerve impulses, contracting and relaxing the muscle, and maintaining water and mineral balance. The minerals in Chinen salt help to improve digestion, balance sugar levels, and detoxify the body.